Chunling Zhang, Ph.D. Professor of Entomology (with a photo)
Ph. D., Insect Molecular Ecology, Nanjing Agricultural University, 2009
M. S., Entomology, Nanjing Agricultural University, 1988
B. S., Entomology, Nanjing Agricultural University, 1985
Research interests: plant and aphid’s interaction, plant singling transduction, induced resistance
Research description: My research program addresses question is the interactions between plants and aphids. In particular, I focus on the mechanism of plant singling transduction in induced resistance to Arabidopsis and Wheats, and ultimately seek to understand the complexity of plant-aphid interactions.
Selected publications (* Corresponding author):
1. Yan Zhai, Ping Li, Yu Mei, Mingye Chen, Xiaochen Chen, Heng Xu, Xuan Zhou, Hansong Dong, Chunling Zhang*, and Weihua Jiang*, Three MYB genes coregulate the phloem-based defence against English grain aphid in wheat, Journal of Experimental Botany, 2017, 68, doi: 10.1093/jxb/erx204
2. Dong YL, Li P, Zhang CL*. Harpin Hpa1 promotes flower development in Impatiens and Parochetus plants, Botanical Studies, 2016, 57: 22 DOI 10.1186/s40529-016-0132-z
3. Fu MQ, Xu MY, Zhou T, Wang DF, Tian S, Han LP, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Transgenic expression of a functional fragment of harpin protein Hpa1 in wheat induces the phloem-based defense to English grain aphid. Journal of Experimental Botany 65: 1439-1453.
4. Li XJ, Han B, Xu MY, Han LP, Zhao YY, Liu ZL, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Plant growth enhancement and associated physiological responses are coregulated by ethylene and gibberellin following treatment with harpin protein Hpa1. Planta 239: 831-846.
5. Li XJ, Wang XB, Wang DF, Tian S, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Transgenic expression of an active fragment of the harpin protein Hpa1 in wheat reduces Fusarium head blight. Acta Phytophylacica Sinica 41: 26-34.
6. Li XJ, Zhao YY, You ZZ, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Harpin Hpa1 needs nitroxyl terminus to promote vegetative growth and leaf photosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biosciences 39: 127-137.
7. Wang DF, Wang YJ, Fu MQ, Mu SY, Han B, Ji HT, Cai HS, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Transgenic expression of the functional fragment Hpa110-42 of the harpin protein Hpa1 imparts enhanced resistance to powdery mildew in wheat. Plant Disease 98: 448-455.
8. Xu MY, Zhou T, Zhao YY, Xu H, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Transgenic expression of a functional fragment of harpin protein Hpa1 in wheat represses English grain aphid infestation. Journal of Integrative Agriculture 13: 2565-2576.
9. Zhao YY, Wang DF, Wu TQ, Guo A, Dong HS, and Zhang CL*. 2014. Transgenic expression of rice riboflavin synthase gene in tobacco enhances the plant growth and resistance to tobacco mosaic virus. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 36: 100-109.
10. Lü BB, Li XJ, Sun W, Li L, Gao R, Zhu Q, Tian S, Fu MQ, Yu HL, Tang XM, Zhang CL* and HS Dong. 2013. AtMYB44 regulates resistance to the green peach aphid and diamondback moth by activating EIN2-affected defenses in Arabidopsis. Plant Biology 15: 841-850.
11. 张春玲, 付茂强, 徐衡, 董汉松. 2012. 拟南芥韧皮部防卫反应转录调控与小麦抗蚜虫机制. 南京农业大学学报 35: 113-124.
12. Lü BB, Sun WW, Zhang SP, Zhang CL, Qian J, Wang XM, Gao R, and Dong HS*. 2011. HrpNEa-induced deterrent effect on phloem feeding of the green peach aphid Myzus persicae requires AtGSL5 and AtMYB44 genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biosciences 36: 127-137.
13. Zhang CL, Shi HJ, Chen L, Wang XM, Lü BB, Zhang S,P Liang Y, Liu RX, Qian J, Sun WW, You ZZ, and Dong HS. 2011. Harpin-induced expression and transgenic overexpression of the phloem protein gene AtPP2-A1 in Arabidopsis repress phloem feeding of the green peach aphid Myzus persicae. BMC Plant Biology 11: doi:10.1186/1471-2229-11-11.
14. Liu RX, Lü BB, Wang XM, Zhang CL, Zhang SP, Qian J, Chen L, Shi HJ, and Dong HS. 2010. Thirty-seven transcription factor genes differentially respond to a harpin protein and affect resistance to the green peach aphid in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biosciences 35: 435-450.
15. Wang YP, Liu RX, Chen L, Wang YC, Liang YC, Wu XJ, Li BY, Wu XJ, Liang Y, Wang XM, Zhang CL, Wang QX, Hong XY, and Dong HS. 2009. Nicotiana tabacum TTG1 contributes to ParA1-induced signalling and cell death in leaf trichomes. Journal of Cell Science 15: 2673-2685.
16. 张淑萍，张春玲，王秋霞，董汉松. 2009. EIN 因子在HrpNEa 诱导拟南芥蚜虫抗性机制中的调节作用，江苏农业科学。
17. Chen L, Qian J, Qu SP, Long JY, Yin Q, Zhang CL, Wu XJ, Sun F, Wu TQ, Beer SV, and Dong HS. 2008. Identification of specific fragments of HpaGXooc, a harpin protein from Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzicola, that induce disease resistance and enhanced growth in rice. Phytopathology 98: 781-791.
18. Ren XY, Zhang CL, Bao ZL, Chen L, Wu XJ, and Dong HS. 2008. Root growth of Arabidopsis thaliana is regulated by ethylene and abscisic acid signaling interaction in response to HrpNEa, a bacterial protein of harpin group. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 31: 617-627.
Honors and Awards (flexible)
In 2013, “The Insect and Stamps” won third-place in the Micro Teaching Competition of Colleges and Universities in Jiangsu Province; in 2015, “A Bite of Insects” came first, and in 2016, “Identification of rice planthopper in paddy field” came first, in the National Plant-Producing Experiment Micro Lessons Competition.
Office Phone: 025-84399057
Mailing Address: Weigang No.1, Xuanwu district, Nanjing, Jiangsu, 210095
College of plant protection, Nanjing Agricultural University